Ham Radio License Testing Session – Instructions and Guidelines:
The VE testing sessions are held on the fourth Saturday of the odd months.
(Jan, Mar, May, July, Sept, Nov)
Poulsbo Fire Station 71
911 NE Liberty Rd, Poulsbo, WA 98370
- Please place all Cell Phones, Radios, etc. on quiet until after all testing has been completed.
- Bring cash or check made payable to the ARRL / VEC. for $15.00 (the cost of the test).
- Bring 2 forms of identification, (at least one should be a picture ID). Other forms of ID may be:
- Birth Certificate – with seal
- Social Security Card
- Library Card
- Report Card (from school)
- Student ID
- Utility or Bank Statement
- Postmarked Envelope with current address shown
- In case of a minor, a legal guardian may present a photo ID.
- Social Security Number or FRN Number (preferred). Having pre-registered with the FCC via the CORES system will expedite processing of your new license or upgraded license when issued.
As of Feb 17, 2015, the FCC will no longer automatically print and send your license via postal mail.
Bring the ORIGINAL and a PHOTOCOPY of your current license and/or CSCE’s. This PHOTOCOPY will be sent with your paperwork for processing. Lack of a PHOTOCOPY can result in a delay of the processing of your application. We will not have a copying machine on site!
You can bring your own calculator, but be ready to prove there are no formulas pre-programmed in it. Cell Phones, iPhones, iPads, Android, Smartphones, Blackberry devices and all similar electronic devices with a calculator capability, may NOT be used. Bring a pen as well as pencils. All sessions will begin promptly at 9:00 am, please be a bit early for paperwork and instructions. Due to variations in photocopying, pen is preferred for all form areas, such as name address etc. Pencil is preferred for erasable areas such as the actual “Test Answer” section. Clean “Scratch paper” will be provided, please be sure not to write in the test booklet. Also, please note that our test location for today will be known as “Poulsbo, WA”
Walk-ins are okay. A special needs person should call a few days ahead so we are prepared.
After the test has been taken, please allow us time to grade the test on site. During this time, others may still be working on their test, so please be courteous and observe quiet time. If you pass, please wait for a CSCE (Certificate of Successful Completion of Examination) before leaving. This is the proof of passing your exam today.
If you are upgrading your current license, and have passed an examination for General Class privileges, you can now operate using “yourcallsign /AG”. Likewise, an upgrade to Extra Class would be “yourcallsign /AE”. In the following days, all exam materials will be forwarded for processing by the ARRL and the FCC. Usually allow up to 10 days for your new or upgraded license to be processed and show on the FCC website. Once a callsign has been assigned, you are now allowed to transmit on the air.